April 20, 2015

Between the Lines

One of my first modern quilt fabric purchases was a layer cake of Simply Color by V and Co. I loved all the bright colors and the way the geometrics (diamonds and dotted zig zags) were balanced with organic shapes (sprigs, leafy stripe, mod blossoms).


It took quite a while for me to decide what to do with these fabrics, but one day I was going through my Bloglovin' feeds and Anne at Play Crafts showed the beginning stages of her Macaron quilt.

This idea stuck with me, and I finally pulled together an idea for my own quilt, Between the Lines.


Down the middle of each square in the layer cake, I ran a stripe of a coordinating solid, bordered by white. I quilted wavy lines in a soft grey across the quilt in the printed areas. Then in white, I stitched in the ditch on both sides of the white strips.


I had to get creative on the back because I was a little short in yardage of the grey leafy stripe. I decided to mimic the stripes in the blocks on the front by making a multi-colored stripe bordered by white. 


I decided on a scrappy binding using the solid colors from the stripes. I really like the way the binding looks from the back against the grey.


The bright colors in this quilt make me really happy, and the grey on the back tones the brightness down perfectly. I'm very happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment